Position Details


Reference Number 145624
Position Title Chief Sonographer
Employment Status Full Time Permanent
Program Enterprise
Location University Hospital Geelong
Salary $90,000.00 to $111,000.00
Hours Per Fortnight 80
Position Summary
  • Unique opportunity to lead a diverse Sonographer workforce in this newly created position
  • Enjoy working in a great location - close to the CBD of Geelong and our vibrant waterfront
  • Permanent full time – 80 hours per fortnight
  • Be recognised, Be challenged, Be your best. Be the heart of Barwon Health

About the facility

At Barwon Health, Ultrasound services are provided at University Hospital Geelong, Geelong Private Hospital and the McKellar Centre. Plans are well underway to provide a new dedicated, standalone ultrasound department within the newly developed Baxter Wing at University Hospital Geelong.

The mix of acute hospital and community / private settings provides an interesting and diverse patient cohort. Our equipment consists of Philips iu22 systems and Toshiba Aplio 500 systems. The sonographer team is around 15 staff (~13 EFT) including a well-established sonographer training program led by a Tutor Sonographer and Clinical Educator. The ultrasound service is 24/7 which includes after hours shifts on weekends and an on call service.

About the role

We are seeking an enthusiastic Chief Sonographer with advanced clinical experience and management skills to lead our diverse Sonographer team and take responsibility for the clinical ultrasound service across Barwon Health.

As the successful applicant you will:

  • Be technically competent across all aspects of diagnostic ultrasound including O&G, paediatrics, vascular, small parts, musculoskeletal imaging and general ultrasound imaging.
  • Perform clinical ultrasound at least 60% of the time with the other 40% being allocated for administrative duties.
  • Demonstrate high levels of professionalism.
  • Possess excellent communication skills.
  • Manage your time effectively.
  • Support and encourage teaching and training of other groups of staff.
  • Lead the Sonographer team by example.

In this role reporting to the Operations Manager you will work alongside the Chief Radiographer and the Chief Nuclear Technologist to support the delivery of imaging services.

About the culture

We are a large, experienced and supportive team who enjoy a commitment to ongoing education with support to attend conferences, conference leave, professional development leave and weekly clinical meetings. We are an enthusiastic, energetic and focused team who work cohesively together.

Everything we do centres all our services on the patient and is guided by our driving values: Respect, Compassion, Commitment, Accountability and Innovation.

Barwon Health staff benefits

  • Flexible working arrangements
  • Professional Development
  • Access to employee wellness facility
  • Salary packaging
  • Social club
  • Be our future Barwon Health Strategic Plan

If you are ready to take on a challenge and are looking to join an innovative organisation with its eye on the future please apply today.

At Barwon Health we celebrate and harness diversity, and consider it a competitive advantage. We encourage applications from all diverse backgrounds. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply.

Recruitment agencies should note that Barwon Health does not accept agency resumes. Barwon Health is not responsible for any fees related to any unsolicited resumes submitted by Recruitment Agencies.

Selection Criteria Desirable: Leadership by example and experience
Desirable: Management experience and demonstrated ability to lead the sonographer group.
Desirable: Excellent time management, communication skills, teaching, and professionalism.
Desirable: Completion of a suitable course in front line management or supervision (e.g. Cert IV and above) would be considered to be an advantage
Essential: Sonographers must have successfully completed a post graduate qualification in ultrasound (e.g. DMU or university graduate diploma)
Essential: All Sonographers including trainees must be registered with the Australian Sonographer Association Registry (ASAR)
Essential: The Chief Sonographer must have a significant number of years’ experience in ultrasound and possess extensive knowledge and expertise across a number of clinical areas (e.g. O&G, MSK, Vascular, General, Small Part, and Paediatrics).
Contact Person Jeff Umbers  
Contact Person Job Title  
Contact Number (03) 4215 0300 
Alternate Contact Person Narelle Lawless 
Alternate Contact Number (03) 4215 0300 
Closing Date 29/05/2016
Position Description
File name 
PD Chief Sonographer April16.pdf Open
Please note that this position will close at 11:45pm on closing date. Please ensure your application is added before then as we do not accept late applications.